I ended up making something quite different that what I first planned. The theme turned to Celtic and I tried to make it look old and gnarly. I made mine with watercolour paper for the pages. I love the look of the binding and it was quite easy to stitch together.
The class was from 10 till 4 pm and when I got home I kept working on it till Midnight. I am still thinking the back needs a little something. For a closure, I added small nobs front and back that I can fasten closed with an elastic. This will allow the book to grow as I fill it with art. :)
Using the stretched canvases for covers gives you a niche front and back of the book to decorate too. Very Cool! I have a Greenman, a Chinese bottle filled with Fireweed seeds and a foot.