Thursday 10 May 2007

Its alive . . .








With the buzzing of happy bees. I was caught off guard the other day when I wandered under our Japanese Red Maple. It was Hummmmmming . . . loudly! I looked up and just inches from my head was hundreds of happy honey bees. I planted this tree when we first moved into our house over 30 years ago. I was told it would gain a maximum height of 5 feet. Its over 16 feet now. Well if I had known of course I wouldn't have planted it so close the house. Now it is just too big to move (and believe me we tried!) and too beautiful to cut down. So we have to prune it, but it is sooooo worth it! I just love this tree. Now that it is mature in the spring it has hundreds of tiny flowers under the leaves and both are in beautiful burgundy and red tones. walking under it and suddenly finding myself in the middle of hundreds of bees instantly put a smile on my face. Such total contentment, sigh.

I love May in Victoria. It is my most favorite month. The garden is so incredibly lush and changing daily with new spring bulbs, perennials, shrubs and deciduous trees all bursting forth. Check out my Maiden Hair Fern. Its surrounded by Sweet Woodruff and native violets.


Its too bad we can't share the fragrances along with the visuals. My Lily of the Valley is just starting to peak in its flower production and it smells just amazing!
Cheers Pattio

1 comment:

Patti G. said...

Oh the wonder of nature there is sooooooooooooooooo beautiful! I just love it! That red maple has become a stunning feature! Wow! Eveything is gorgeous!
Hugs,Patti