Monday 15 December 2008

Ancient Coptic Stitched Canvas Journal

As with most creations that I like best, the design for this one was not planned, it just happened. The only idea I had was to use canvas but that was the extent of the planning the rest just unfolded as I worked on it. It has a sturdy eska board as the foundation with canvas glued on top. Instinct took over with the cut out design, it came about with a pencil in hand doodling on a page. The cut out in the canvas allowed you could see what was beneath and I painted and textured the under layer with acrylic paint. Next the canvas layer had stamped words and numbers, hand stitched linen thread, ripped book pages adhered with bees wax and then the entire canvas coated in beeswax (it smells wonderful!) After that I embossed some select words in the wax with a pen and added some new ones and finally the hardware was added just before I glued it all together.
Every signature is decorated with beautiful papers giving each one its own character. I prepainted many pages with either, watercolours, walnut ink or acrylics. I am afraid my stitching falls below standard as its been a while since I have done a coptic stitched journal.

On the back I kept it simple with a big embellishment by Tim Holtz and the star brads. It is waxed like the front. This was a journey that I took with Ananova and Mergatroid who also made fabulous journals that are oh so different! It is amazing how much you bond with your journal when you make it from scratch. I should do this more often. You certainly end up with a unique journal that comes from your heart and soul.

4 comments:

mergatroid said...

Pattio! your cover pics turned out awesome! You totally win first prize for cover art! Fabulous!!!!

Mergatroid

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Wow!!! This is really gorgeous!!!! Great work, Pattio!!!!
hugs, chris p

Anonova said...

I agree with Barb... definitely an awesome cover! It was so fun putting this all together. Hard on the fingers, but fun!

Elizabeth said...

PattiO!!
this book is BEYOND Beautiful!! I just love all of it! I am so working on myself to start journaling- I think that it will really help me deal with some struggles- Perhaps if I work on a Journal from scratch I will feel the urge to visit it regularly and keep adding to it!! You do amazing work!!
You are one lucky girl to Live in Victoria B.C.- I visited once and did not want to leave!!!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth