Thursday 22 January 2009

Altered Photo

Gitanyow
On a trip up north I took this photo of one of the totems of Gitanyow with a long house in the distance. This is a village that Emily Carr visited and painted these very totems! I read about her visit in one of her journals.

The photo is sanded and rubbed water soluble oil pastels. The background is walnut ink, on the bottom half the text was sprayed with a mister to blur the words in a wet on wet like technique. While still wet the top had walnut soaked string dropped on and let dry.


This is how I mounted my altered photo of my Ginkgo Tree for my Green page.

5 comments:

mergatroid said...

Very Nice Pattio. with the colours you added, it takes on an Emily Carr look. Nice touch with the maple leaf too.

Anonova said...

Ohhh Patti, I love how you mounted the gingko page! That's so gorgeous...

And Emily Carr's Gitanyow paintings are some of my very favourites. :)

Lindart said...

Love the Emily Carr page - great technique! I need to try working with photos like this. I have a great book that tells how, but I just haven't taken that first step. . .

The Ginko page is also awesome, i love how you mounted it, it really pops on the black.

Your coin "rubbing" is well done! you chose great colours for it.

Seth said...

Wonderful pages Pattio. Also, please email me when you have your post up for the disintegration project so I know to add your link to the list! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that them kodak moments I've been looking at brings back happy memories!
I sit back with excitement and tears looking at this priceless art! It's funny how a simple picture when seen can tell a whollllleeee story! haha well hey guys thanks so much for sharing, sometimes people need an enlightment of visual beauty to uplift the soul, and this sure did do the job!